Thursday, August 28, 2008

Random thoughts...

aren't they all?

While grinding out a few miles on the treadmill this morning I saw on one of the wall tv's that Michael Phelps was on the Today Show. I like Phelps and think his 8 golds are amazing so I wanted to hear him talk. I also like to hear him speak because in between phrases he makes this hilarious "aaahhhhh" nasal sound that cracks me up, every time with out fail.

But I really do admire him as an athlete. He mentioned that he got to meet Tiger Woods yesterday. I can't find the picture online but when I do I'll post it. It's a shot of them meeting and then embracing. Michael Phelps said in the interview, quite absent of the nasal ahhhhs, that it was just a regular conversation and then he said something that moved me. Phelps said "He told me I did a good job and that he was proud of me."

Wow.

I don't think I realized until today, or perhaps I forgot and was reminded today how powerful those words are. I'm not sure this statement is true for women but I know for men, at least most men, that these words are incredibly powerful. I'm proud of you.

It's so seldom heard, I think some might even view it as demeaning. We might get recognition through our jobs, from our bosses, from our wives/husbands or our children. But it takes someone that we respect, someone that is more advanced than us or more experienced that us or someone's whose opinion we value. I think it's most powerful from someone that is part of your life but not in the day to day grind with you.

I digress.

I'm proud of you...

No comments: