Friday, January 21, 2005

Devotional Thought

I put this in my parent's newsletter for winter 2005, thought I'd share it here.

I was scheduled to give a devotional at a recent youth event. I knew there would be a group of about 50 students and 20 adults and I wanted it to be impacting. I had prepared my message well ahead of time and was just reviewing in my mind in the hours before I was supposed to present.

As I was reading through my words and the scripture passage I was going to speak from I suddenly realized something quite tragic.
The very Bible that I speak so highly of, the one that I make my living explaining to people, and the book that I live my life by is the LIVING WORD OF GOD. In short it is God’s message to us.

I realized how callously I was handling such a precious gift. I encourage you in these months to realize the value of the most owned book in the world. It is not a text book, devotional book, or guide book for life. The Bible is the living word of God involving real people, a real God and a real story of a living savior that died for us.

No comments: