Sunday, April 10, 2005

Revival: My church hosted a "revival" weekend this weekend and it will be wrapping up this morning. As I sat in the service last night and I looked around one thing continued to strike me and I know it has struck my friends in the ministry as well. My Generation is missing. A whole big ole' group from the age of 18-35 just is not there. The evangelist seemed to be a very nice genuine man. But as he spoke I thought to myself "My generation will not tolerate this" We will not tolerate looking back and saying "we just have to get back to the good ole days" and I think there are two reason for that 1) we don't remember the 'good ole days' and 2) were not convinced they actually existed but are rather a figment of their imagination.

It's no surprise or shocking discovery that my generation is not in church and I don't mean to sound to negative but I'm not sure we're ever going to see them "in church". I think we will see them be the church in house churches, home groups, studies at Panera and Starbucks. I think we will see us rally around a cause of Jesus not the church, because we have lost faith in the institution we call church but have found faith in Jesus.

So I'm left with the question: How does on encourage this organic growth? How does one pastor these people? Does one pastor? Do they need a pastor? Will they reject the pastor as they have the institution of the church?

I hope not, because in the end...I'm one of them!

No comments: