Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Improve: I'm not sure where this post will go but I have an idea of where I want to hit on my way there. I was watching a story of Simon Cowell, the oft-hated but sometimes adored critic of American Idol. I had heard cracks that he was the idea behind Tele-tubbies and power rangers and wanted to see how much of that was true. It was really a fascinating story of his success. It would appear that whatever he touches turns to gold but that's far from the truth. He has many failed ventures but also many successes. One thing that struck me is that Simon has never come up with an original idea...or at least one worth noting. He has however improved upon ideas already out there. His millions hae come not from this own material but borrowed material from others.

My second thought is the fact that when I create something I want that creation to be better than me. I want it to be all the good parts of me and none of the bad. My son Nathan is a wonderful example of this. I want him to have the personality traits that I'm proud of and not the ones that embarrass me. I want him to have he parts of me that are attractive and not the parts that aren't. I want him to be smarter than me, more successful than me, simply put better than me. So far so good.

But I'm talking about those other creations; things ike songs, poetry, art, articles, books, sermons, churches, disciples, frienships, relationships and marriages. I want those things to be better than me but unfortunately the ways it works is that these things are reflections of me.

But then there are those things not just flavored by God but directed by God. As my passions lie with the local church I am of the mindset that the church is the eternal hope of the world but as Sarah Cunningham stated in her book Dear Church the church is not the hope of the world...Jesus Christ is. The church as a creation will be a reflection of me as the pastor but with dependence on Christ The Bridge will be a reflection of Him not me. That brings me hope and promise.

No comments: