Monday, July 09, 2007

I have a few book reviews and things like that I'd like to get down before too much time gets by. So here goes.



The Starbucks Experience by Joseph Michelli. When I started reading this book I was wondering why I had paid money for it. Not that it started bad but I started to ask mysel how many books can be written about Starbucks. I read the one written by the sort of founder of Starbucks Howard Shultz and I believe I read another one so this was my third book. However the author did a good job stating that while he is an honest 3rd party perspective that he also was given priviledges to learn some insider information about the company.

Long story short Starubucks is an exceptional company that has changed the face of retail and food service industry. By offering benefits and other employee perks they have raised the bar of what is expected by other employees. The thing that stuck out to me the most was the mention of the "homegrown" coffee shops that are popping up everywhere. Most people when they hear Starbucks is coming to town figure the local shopped is doomed to fail. But the truth is that this challenges local shops to raise the bar and most local shops increase in revenue when Starbucks moves into town.

16 of 52



Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. I've read this book before and I wanted to read it for our Father's day service back in June. I remember being moved the first time I read it and this time was no exception. To any man this book is relevant and real. Most of all it's powerful and can be life changing. If you are a man and have never read this book do yourself a favor and go buy it and read it.

In the next few days I'll post the quotes on courage toward the end of the book. This book inspired me to be a man of biblical standards and inspires me to great things and to be a great husband, father and pastor.

17 of 52


Transformers: The movie. I saw it on Tuesday and then I saw it with some friends last night. The first viewing left me simply amazed. I went into the movie with high expectations and left with no disappointment at all. Last night...I enjoyed it as much the second time as the first. This movie is incredible and when it was over Brandon said to me. I think that movie ranks up there with Gladiator...I couldn't argue.

No comments: