Monday, May 15, 2006

The Bible vs. The Da Vinci Code: This was the headline on the front page of yesterday's paper. My first thought...is that a joke? Is it? I'm not threatened at all by the Da Vinci Code, the book or the movie. In fact I think I've recommened this book just like every other interesting book I've read. All I ask is to have the opportunity to talk about it with you afterward.

The Bible vs. the Da Vinci Code I'm sure it was an attempt to make an interesting headline but c'mon. The Bible the best selling book of all time with true historical facts, archeological evidence vs. The 3 year old partially plagarized work of fiction? Doesn't seem fair really. The Bible which has been translated into most known languages and sold over 6 Billion copies vs. the Da Vinci code that has sold...well not 6 billion copies.

Baseball: We played games on Friday night and Saturday morning which is the little league equivalent of a double header. Back to back games spells disaster for my team because we have 2 pitchers and in Little League they can't pitch on back to back days. So Friday night we played a very tough team and my strategy was to just pitch kids that had potential and hope for the best. Both of my pitchers did great and our bats kept us in the game. In true Cardiac A's fashion we took it into the 6th and tied it up but couldn't go ahead a run so we ended up loosing a tied game via the tie breaker. But we played a very good team and almost beat them at the end of the night we were 5-6- 1 game under .500.

Saturday we played a team we beat by one run previous and I went into the game only having 1 pitcher. I didn't tell Tyler he was going to pitch the whole game and honestly I didn't know if his arm could handle it. He had done it before but you can only ask a 9 year old to bail his team out so many times. His first inning was rough but after that he caught fire and struck out 6 batters in a row. He ended up pitching the full 5 innings and we won the game 10-6. It wasn't as close as the score tells. All in all it was a great victory and a good weekend of baseball. We have 5 games left and with a 6-6 record I'm hoping to end the season a few games over .500. In reality we are capable of winning every game we have left but I'm not banking on it.

Cookout: We hosted a cookout on Saturday as a way to invite our friends and coworkers to meet The Bridge Church. Our goal was to have more than 30 people at the cookout and at one point I counted 35 or so. Mission accomplished. It was a good event not because we were able to build some bridges but I feel I learned something. Events like the cookout are going to reach the easy people- the low lying fruit. It's going to take something else, something more exceptional to reach the harder to reach yet equally needing higher fruit. That doesn't mean there is no merit in things like this. I think it taught us how to act like a body of believers by doing things in the community and meeting people while we are out there, it reminded us to invite and bring and it compelled me to do greater more exeptional things.

Welcome to the journey...

No comments: