Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Baseball: Last night was our last regular season game. It's hard to believe it's been three months since we started this thing. The other coaches and I were talking last night and we all agreed it's gone so fast. This has been a great season all of the coaches have gotten along great, the kids have learned so much and I believe I have the most respectful and well behaved teams in our league. All of our players are such good sports when we win and when we lose.

So last night our last regular season game against a team that we are way better than but have beat us as often as we've beaten them. The first four innings last night they had our number again. We kept it close but they were just beating us. We were making mental errors that we don't normally make and I thought we were in for a long night. The fifth inning comes and the score is 12-9 and we're loosing. We need at least 4 runs to win. I gather the team in and tell them we need to hit the ball and we need to score lots of runs. Well 20 minutes later the score is 22-12. We batted around the 12 man line up and every player on my team scored but one. The highlight had to be bases loaded and my best batter gets up to bat. He crushes a ball like I haven't seen crushed in our league as soon as he hit it I knew he had a triple but I was hoping he could go for the in the park homerun. He scored 3 runs on the triple and that's when the damage was too much for the other team to overcome. We had beat them to oblivion. They managed 1 run in the bottom of the 5th to make it 22-13 but they never stood another chance.

It was a great way to end our regular season and a great way to head into the tournament. I think we're going into the tournament a #2 seed in our division and #3 or 4 overall in the league. Not bad.

9-8 on the season...one game over .500.

No comments: