Sunday, May 07, 2006

Serious: While this entry will come across as cynical and sarcastic I still think it's worth a read from most churches and pastors that I know. I have a tip that will change the way you do church. It will be call for a radical reformation of behaviors. It will attack the very core of your being a "loving" church but by listening you will be taking one step in a series of thousands in the right direction. While I can't make your heart follow I do hope these words help...and here they are.

I realize your church loves each other but perhaps the most painful thing for a visitor to experience while visitng your church is your "club" activities. These include the meet and greet time, the "prayer" time for each others needs complete with passing the microphone, and basically any kind of hand holding at the end of the service. I don't mean to be cruel but I don't care if Sheila's Uncle Mike is in the nursing home and I certainly don't want to spend 10 minutes on this topic (5 to hear you explain it 3 for the pastor to interpret what you said to the congregation and 2 to pray for it).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another practice...

"If you are visiting here, stand up/raise your hand so that we can put a visitor card in your hand."

First of all - i'm a guest - hopefully. If I showed up to your house, you wouldn't do that...why are we doing that in God's house?

Great insight, bro...

EYouthWNY said...

Okay let me play devil's advocate.

While being receptive and open to the newcomer is of vital importance, if we sacrifice those things that draw us together as a community what are we left to offer them? Shouldn't you care about Uncle Mike? If only because you care about Sheila? And if you're the newcomer don't you gain an insight on how the community cares for each other by watching them do this. Maybe the time limits need tightened. Are we throwing out the baby with the bath water if we deny folks who are part of this community some time to share their burdens with the community?

Peace
JP

Unknown said...

Never, ever, ever should anyone in the congregation get to hold an actual microphone...unless of course, it's turned off!