Saturday, May 27, 2006

It should be noted that the preceding blogs were written during my travel to and from Mexico as well as while we were there as well. The reason why you are getting these entries about a week late is because there is not a free wifi hotspot to be found in Mexico. I’m not sure if I’ll go back and edit the dates of these so they are posted correctly or if I’ll just let you figure it out.

Listening To: I like to give credit where credit is due especially with bands and speakers that I hear and especially in the church world where bands and speakers get their business through word of mouth. Graham Davis (and his band) played our retreat this year. Musically they were excellent and Graham proved to be not just a music player but an actual worship leader. His heart was evident when he shared with the students and when he played and they took notice and their hearts were moved. It’s amazing when you can end a retreat weekend and see most every kid worshipping from his/her heart.

Did I mention they also rocked! Not all the time, which can get annoying, but at very appropriate time they just rocked out for Jesus. It was great. Graham told me his website was down but when it’s up you can find it at Graham Davis Band.

Horse: I turn on espn last night and there is a big breaking news story about about Barbado which is the horse that won the Kentucky Derby and shattered it’s leg while running the preakness. All in the news and on the front page of what I believe was the New York Times is this horse. The Horse might die. Truth- I don’t give a crap. It’s a horse. If this were a professional athlete that got drilled in the face with a baseball and was near death I would care. If this was a football player that broke his back and might be paralyzed for the rest of his life I would care. But a horse…I don’t care.

It probably made me especially sensitive because I was on my way to Mexico when I was seeing these headlines. Mexico is not the most impoverished country in the world I know there but there is poverty in it’s tourist cities that make 99% of places in the US look like luxury. In the end I was thinking about all the kids in the US and in Mexico that are starving to death or going without medical care that will ultimately lead to their death and there is some horse getting more attention…sick human nature.

No comments: