Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Weight: One of my goals for this year was to lose 52 lbs. I put down this goal probably because I knew it was a good idea rather than an honest and tangible goal. I knew it was possible but doubted I would actually follow through with it.

I should state up front that personal appearance is a very personal thing for me. Meaning I'm not exactly comfortable writing what I'm about to write but I'm going to write it anyway hoping that it will help someone else out.

On April 1st Heather and I decided to start losing weight. We had made this decision several years ago and did very well initially but then as time went on we lost the discipline and fell on the gravy train (with biscuit wheels). This time we decided we wanted to do it for real, set some realistic goals and do it together.

I wish I was writing this post from a past experience...this is something I've done; I'd be more comfortable writing this. But I'm writing this post in present tense, it's something we're currently doing.

This week marks the 10th week and my average is 4lbs per week.

Weight Loss Tip I thought I'd start with a weight loss tip.
Recognize your current reality.

1. Recognize you're overweight. Now I know that most every overweight person knows they are overweight. But not all of the time. When you're sitting down to scarf that thousand calorie fat burger and french fries you have somehow convinced yourself that you are not overweight or that being overweight can't be that bad or won't ultimately kill you.
2. Recognize it doesn't have to be this way. In our society of quick fixes we convince ourselve we can never be healthy because it will simply take too long. If we can't have it tomorrow it's not worth having. But you can be a healthy person. You need to be a healthy person, ultimately your happiness, health and life depends on it.
3. Recognize the role of food in your life. Food is meant as nutrition, not as reward or escape or therapy. Food is meant to nurture you to do the things God has called you to. This is the single most important step in the weight loss journey and a recognition that I believe will be the key to my long term success. When I recognize this and when I face this reality I am able to control the quality and quanity of food I intake.

Take away:
1. Know the nurtritional value of food and drinks and assess if you want to put that in your body each and every time you eat and/or drink.

2. Commit to walking 30 minutes 5 days a week...no matter what.

This picture is from March- before we started.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This picture is from week 6. I'll get a current picture up soon.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

James said...

when you put buscuit wheels on the gravy train I salivated...

Great job though!