Tuesday, April 22, 2008




Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy. My love for reading started in the fourth, fifth and sixth grades with the usual Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary books most of us grew up on. But the first grown up books I started reading were sports biographies and autobiographies. I learned all about major league baseball straight from the words of Willie Mays, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle and Dave Dravecky. It was weird how I could smell the grass of the ballpark and catch the atmosphere of the dugout from reading a book. I loved it!

So I was thrilled to find an excuse to order Tony Dungy's book Quiet Strength. I knew I would love it. First of all I know that Coach Dungy is a follower of Christ and from what I could tell it wasn't just lip service. I also saw the way he responded to his son's suicide a few years back and I was very impressed by him.

I ate this book up. I think I finished it 3 days, most of it read while holding Seth in one arm and my book in the other. It was easy reading and so much fun to read. I walked away even more impressed. Coach Dungy is a man of principle and he's stuck to those principles through some hard times. The thing I'm most impressed is that he views his life as a platform for the message of the cross of Jesus Christ both in his words but most importantly in his actions.

No comments: