Monday, March 19, 2007

Homeless: Since reading Under the overpass a few weeks ago I've been prompted to open my eyes to the homeless in this area. Heather read the book to so we've even tossed around a few ideas but one major thing we decided to do is to speak with the homeless when we pass them and not avoid them like they have diseases.

Today the fellas and I were walking out of Starbucks from a planning session and this lady was riding by with a bike and towing a trailer. One of the guys said we should probably go talk to her. Well before we had a chance to respond she started yelling at us. "Where's the the Elizabeth River?" Not being a smart alek I said any direction you go. She said where's the one with the bridge that I can cross on my bike.

So I walked over and talked with her, asked her how I could help her out and tried to figure out where she was going. In a few short minutes we talked about her trip on her bike, faith and some other stuff. In the end she just seemed a little lonely and just wanted to talk for a few.

No comments: