Thursday, March 01, 2007

Sick: So today I'm finally starting to feel better. On monday my stomach starting hurting and it was hurting in a bad way. Then on Tuesday it started getting worse but in typical Nick fashion I kept on going thinking I was tougher. Well yesterday it became too much and I surrendered and went to bed. I slept and I slept and then I woke up to drink some sprite and then I slept some more. This morning I woke up feeling much better.

Funeral: Mom called me on monday and asked me for a favor. When momma asks you for a favor you tell momma yes, just one of those life rules. Well she told me her friends mom had just died and she was 87 years old. Would I do the graveside funeral? Reluctantly I told her yes. I planned as best I could. But knowing this woman wasn't a believer made it very hard. I was sort of angry, so many poeple live their lives void of God, they shut him out, tell him to go away but then call to him when they need him. Seems like pastors can be the most unpopular people in the world until a wedding or funeral needs to go down.

But I did it and I tried to do my best. But in all this I learned something, or rather something was reemphasized to me. As we were standing around the hole in the ground that was the final resting place for this old body I asked if there was any fond memory or story someone wanted to share. Silence. Anybody? Silence.

87 years of life and not one memory from her loved ones. It was the most depressing thing about the whole funeral. What am I living for? How will my loved ones remember me? What will they say at my funeral?

He was a man that knew what it meant to walk with God and he wanted others to know as well. He deeply loved his family and friends.

No comments: