Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Almost there

Theory: I have a theory. To my knowledge this is my theory and mine alone, I am the first to think of it therefore it this gets public (not likely considering the 3.4 people who read my blog) then I want credit for it. Here it goes.

Ever watch a minor league or pro baseball game? Count the number of fly balls that make it to the last 15 feet of the field but fail to go over. Count the number of homeruns that stay within 15 feet of the outfield fence. Put a player on a field that is 300ft and they will hit the ball just as close to the fence as in a field that is 320ft.

Every watch college basketball? Regular season games it's not unlikely for two great teams to play each other and blow the other team out by 20 pts. It's also not unlikely for the underdog team to get romped on by the better team. Bring on the championship games and tournaments. Any team is in it! What's more? The score will almost always be close no matter how unevenly matched the teams are.

So here's my theory. Sure some will say that the underdog team is just playing better than normal and the better team is playing worse than ususal. I can buy that sometimes but this happens far to often for it to be explained away like that. I think with the homeruns and with college basketball there is something in the brain or perception that limits a person. It seems like those that are great or do great things have figured out how to put down that limiter in thier minds and excel. I guess when I get famous for this theory I want it to be called Cerda's Theory of Self-Limiting Success.

No comments: