Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Good vs. Evil: In the March/April 2005 YouthWorker Journal Brian McLaren writes and article that piqued my interest. There is a point that I would like to expound on and to be honest I'm not sure if this is what he meant or not but it is where my mind took me.

I often hear people say "God is not republican" or "God is not calvanist" or something to that matter. Generally people are correct in these statements. God is not defined by a word rather people, normally believers have constructed a viewpoint and set of beliefs and preferences that they say God stands for. These people are probably mostly right, or at least not wrong in their assumption of these beliefs. They have contructed a moral code to live by, which I know is not easy to contruct much less live by. I commend them and I don't have a problem with this.

What I do have a problem with is that this moral code becomes the conduit of salvation not the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Morals get you to heaven no faster than roller skates. So what's the problem?

Rather than present the salvation of Jesus Christ to our friends and aquaintances we present them a moral code and lifestyle. We are so used to deeming things right/wrong, black/white, godly/sin that we start to label people with this same. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there is not such thing as right or wrong or that it's not important. I'm saying that we are not judged our worth in God's eyes by what we do right and wrong we instead are judged by only one thing FAITH in Jesus Christ. So rather than sweat the right and wrong politics of moral codes let's see people for what they are and for what we all need.

2 comments:

Gerrard Fess said...

God is Canadian afterall

Nick said...

oh man all this time I thought he was trust worthy and powerful.