Saturday, April 01, 2006

1st Game: It wasn't pretty but we played our first game today. We scored 6 runs and ran the bases very well. The bad news is the other team scored 15 runs. We made lots of mental errors but I honestly believe we can compete with the other teams...but we have to stop making the mental mistakes.

Highlight: In our league all 12 players bat even though only 9 can play in the field. So when I say our 12th batter was up to bat it's understood that he is not only the weakest hitter but probably the weakest fielder as well. Well Calvin is our 12th man. Calvin is one of my favorite kids, possibly because he does the funniest stuff possible and the other reason is that Calvin has some disabilities. He's has what is called a delay which means it takes him longer than other kids to process stuff. You see why this might be a problem in baseball! So Calvin is our 12th hitter and almost every other kid had struck out...most looking. So Calvin gets up there and fouls off a few good pitches and works his count to 3-2. At this point in the game we're in the 3 inning and soooo many of the kids had struck out, I was so discouraged. So Calvin is doing really well just by fouling off the ball, I got a little excited. Then at full count he gets a good piece and hits a blooper to third and gets our first hit of the season. Calvin, the kid with the delay, got our first hit. I laughed at the irony and then I almost cried. I'm not being dramatic about that, I honestly almost cried a few times...especially when I gave Calvin the game ball for getting the first hit of the season. I think it showed me so much of God's grace that Calvin would get the first hit. I'm not sure it was God helping Calvin hit that ball but I think the illustration is beautiful. Because in truth we're all a good bit of "Calvin", we're the underdog, destined underachiever, and frankly a little slow but God does really amazing things through us. Thank goodness!

No comments: