Thursday, February 08, 2007

I came across this blog entry about my denomination, C&MA, I thought both the post and the comment were interesting, even generating one from the president of the C&MA!

Original post-->here

Leaders Lead....Even if it means Leaving.

I am a member of a wonderful worldwide denomination called the
Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA). The name says it all. We
are here to create disciples all over the world. And we have done
this extremely well. There are countries overseas where the only
Jesus believing churches are the native Christian and Missionary
Alliance churches. In fact there are several countries where there
are more C&MA churches then in the US. I doubt there is any other
denomination that has been such a visionary movement for Jesus. If
any of you know my story you know that I am grateful and dedicated to
the C&MA. But lately I have been seeing something that is
disappointing. I see them as leaving behind a group of young and
visionary leaders.

There are two huge conferences that take place in the Alliance
family. The first one is the oldest one. It is call General Council.
It takes place every other year and every church (over 2,000) is
expected to at least send their pastor(s), although there will be
well over that number this year. The other conference is called LIFE
it is the student conference that takes place every three years. I
just heard that they are expecting over 10,000 students.

Now here is the rub. At General Council they have the speakers lined
up and they are all baby boomers. Not one of them is of my
generation. They have been in ministry for 25 years (I just turned
27). Now being old is not bad (I'm headed that way myself) but
ignoring the younger generation is bad. Where are the featured
speakers who are young? Where are the innovated pastors of my
generation. But at LIFE the speakers are young. They are my peers.
They are doing great ministry. Ministry that is good enough to be
heard by students, but not adults?

I am not saying that my feelings are hurt or that I am mad. I am
saying that it looks like they are going to be creating a problem.
Because unless they do some dramatic things to retain the talent they
have this denomination will be dead in a few generations because they
have not handed over the reigns. They are creating two generations of
leadership and real leaders after a while of not getting their chance
to lead will leave to go to a place to lead. I was told by a VP of
our denomination that our generation needs to create our own
opportunities and then we will get our chance to lead. Well real
leaders will leave in order to lead and if he is OK with that then
great. But I am not.

No comments: