Friday, February 16, 2007

Men: So Dad, Nathan and I try to get together on Friday's. Heather's at work so I have Nathan for the day. Generally Nathan's not too busy, considering he's not quite two years old. So I pack him and we go to visit my dad who lives about 15 minutes away. It's always a good time and we just talk and hang out. I also get to see my maternal grandparents who live across the street from my dad. They're getting up in years so I make sure I take every change I get to spend time with them. They think Nathan is the greatest kid in the world and he's a combination of genious mastermind and sweetest boy in the world.

Monsters: Dad and I were talking about politics and religion and devising ways we would save the world, as usual. My dad and I share different world views. He grew up in a mexican home in southern California. He was a minority all his life and joined the Navy to sort of escape it all. He's a typical boomer, but unique at the same time. He's going to college to fulfill a life long dream, I think his goal is to be more educated than me and my sister...we'd better step it up.

So that's my dad. But me, I was raised in a christian home with a fundamental christian world view. I grew up as the majority, never really deviating from what others were doing...until bible college that is. But anyway our worldviews are pretty different, I think I realized that for the first time today.

But regardless we were talking about saving the world and I think we have a pretty good plan. I'd blog it but then others would steal it and then we'd be bitter for the rest of our lives. At some point between Oprah and Dick Cheney we decided that all people are monsters- not that they're the monsters but they lead us there. I should rather say that all people have the ability to be monsters. Don Miller talks about this in Blue Like Jazz. What do Hitler and you have that's so different afterall? Hitler acted on his urges and you manage to restrain them? We talked about how we all could be murders or perverts, so really there's no excuse for sin.

Of course as a christian worldviewist I understand this to be the depravity and sin nature of man. It really erases the idea of this gray area in our lives that we like to exploit for all it's worth. You know the area where neither right nor wrong lives. The area we like to pretend is WAY bigger than it really is. Talking with my dad always clarifies so much in my head and today was no different. The thing I blogged about last night came into so much clarity.

Man is depraved, Jesus died for our sins, recognize your sins, recognize the need for the savior.

No comments: