Friday, November 26, 2004

Parade

I was at a parade in Spartanburg, SC this morning. I was standing there with my wife, mom, sister, nephew (3), niece (1), and brother-in-law. There weren't a ton of people there but it was quite festive, a nice crowd, simple parade, and really the weather was the best part of it all. One thing about the hour long parade will stick out to me for some time. About the second or third float was a group of men in the Army. They were in their desert camo and simply walking and waving. Suddenly a group to my right of older gentlemen and their grandchildren started clapping for the service men. Quickly the entire group, both sides of the street joined in on the applause. I started clapping and suddenly realized how great it felt to let these three men know how much I appreciate them and their co-workers. The applause went on for some time and I could tell it let the soldiers know they were cared for and appreciated by many. One of the soldiers looked at me and I met his eyes for a moment and I said "Thank You". He gave me a nod as if to say "I'm just doing my job but thank you".

You're welcome, You're so very welcome!

No comments: