Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Devil's Highway: Probably the spookiest book I've ever read. I think it was the first book that I just sat down and finished so I could be done with it and not have it plague my thoughts any longer. With that said thought the book was worth every penny I paid for it. A story of mexican entrants into the United States. It starts in Veracruz, Mexico way down on the border and it ends in Arizona with 14 of the 26 immigrants dead in the desert and the others severly damaged to the point of death by the sun.

It's a story of immigration but moreso a story of the illegal trade of people that happens every day. I know now that most mexicans don't wake up and decide they're going to hop the border and go work at Bennett's Creek Nursery, your local construction company, or McDonald's. They are lured by rich mexicans that tell them their money is in the united states. They are charged thousands of dollars and shipped to the border when they are continually charged until they start the walk from Mexico through the Arizona desert, hiding from border patrol the whole time. Every step of their journey someone is there pulling in profit from the point they leave their home to the point they die in the desert or the point they are found a job in Chicago, Washington DC or Suffolk, VA.

No comments: