Sunday, September 10, 2006

I remember: I was working nights as a 3rd shift security guard at the college I had just graduated from, Toccoa Fall College. Heather was teaching school and we had only been married a little more than 2 months, almost three. I would come home and sleep while Heather worked so we could have our evenings together before I had to head to work at midnight.

I remember watching the news that morning before I headed to bed. It was a slow news Michael Jordan was talking about coming back out of retirement. I went to sleep instead of watching.

I was sleeping soundly when the phone started ringing. I ignored it a few times but it just kept ringing. I finally answered it figuring it was Heather and she needed something. I answered and just heard Heather say "there's something wrong with the world". I asked her to explain but she couldn't. She just said "there's something wrong with the world, go turn on the tv". Ok I love you, goodbye.

I went out to the front door passed the tv and looked outside. The sun was still shining.

I turned on the tv and immediately was aware that Heather was right- there was something wrong with the world. I stood there frozen, in complete disbelief. Then the tower fell, then the other. I don't remember sitting down but I know I did and I just watched for hours. I somehow knew the magnitude of the day and here I am 5 years later and I still remember where I was and what I did and even how I felt. I do remember calling my mom and brother, dad and sister (who was 9 months pregnant) to make sure they were ok with everything and that they knew I love them.

If there is one thing in my life that changed after 9/11 is that I never left a family member without telling them I loved them. I've spread this practice even to some of my friends that live distances away. Because in case something does happen and one of us dies before we see the other again I want to make sure they know how I feel about them.

Sound small and so simple but I can't think of a better lesson for me to have learned from all that tragedy than love.

No comments: