Tuesday, January 09, 2007

1 of 51: SiMPLE CHURCH by Tom Ranier and Eric Geiger. A great book about effective organization and programming within the church to maximixe the discipleship process.

Clarity>Movement>Alignment>Focus


Next up: Everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die by David Crowder.


Love: On a separate note me and a friend were talking about love yesterday. He's worried because he's afraid he doesn't love his girlfriend. I told him that might be a problem. He said he's not sure if he loves her or not because he doesn't get that feeling. He says being with her makes too much sense. He thinks she's beautiful and enjoyable and she likes being with her but he wonders why "that feeling" isnt' there.

We talked about this and how we wonder if love changes as you grow up. Those crushes that keep you up at night in middle school. The girl that makes high school algebra worth going to. The reason you ever went to youth group. I wonder if that stuff fades away.

But that's not love. Love is deeper than that, more complex than that, more beautiful than that. It's harder but more worthwhile, it might not be as giddy but it's more passionate. I thinks that's what I was looking for Love is more passionate it should drive a man to do something he wouldn't normally do on a regular basis. It should stretch you and grow you.

love

2 comments:

EYouthWNY said...

Does love change as you grow older?

Speaking only from personal experience...yes. I've been with the same lady for just a couple weeks shy of 30 years, almost 25 of them married.

My heart no longer pounds when she walks into the room. My stomach no longer churns when we're apart.

The reactions are subtler now. When I hear her on the phone or coming in the back door my heart lifts and I smile. When we're apart I think "I wish she were here, this would be more fun if she were here". If I contemplate life without her I find the concept very hard to even imagine. We are no longer two people in love. We are one person.

Your friend needs to examine these other feelings to see how he really feels. And maybe he needs to talk to her.
Peace
Jay

Nick said...

well said I'll pass it on.