Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Raising a Modern Day Knightby Robert Lewis. I bought this book at the recommendation of a man I highly respect, Todd Adams. Todd and his family are missionaries to Irian Jaya which is in Indonesia. Todd grew up there and how now returned to serve with his family. Todd was also my youth pastor when I was in middle school and a big reason why I'm in ministry today. The people the Adam's minister to are still very tribal and as early as 40 years ago were still in the stone age. Often they have to hike hours to get to the church Todd will be preaching at. Todd and his son Sully, 13 or 14, will make the walk together.

The mental picture of Todd and Sully walking up these mountains, barefoot in slippery mud just to get to church so Todd can preach really motivated me. Todd is raising not just a som but a future man. I wanted to get hold of any resource he had about fathering.

Of all the things this book inspired me to surround Nathan, who is not quite 2, with godly men that he can look up to, including myself. This book also inspired me to make Nathan's goals clear about what a man is. Of course this is going to need to wait a little bit but I'm glad to have the framework now.

This is book 6 of 52 and since I've gotten ahead a little bit I think I might tackle my Barack Obama book which is a little bit longer than the previous books.

No comments: