Monday, January 22, 2007

Name Game: This morning Johnny and I met for our regular monday meeting. We went to Starbucks like we normally do and it was crazy crowded. We ordered our drinks and thought a table would open up but it never did. After standing around for a few minutes we realized it wasn't looking good so we left. There are a few other coffee shop options so we opted for Downtown Portsmouth- The Daily Grind.

Went in and ordered our coffee and asked the barista about his tattoos. I paid with my credit card and it says "see id" so I showed him id and he said no way my name is Nicholas David too. We agreed that was mutually cool and Johnny and I went to sit down. Off and on we talked to Nicolas, he was curious about Johnny's music and asked a little about our church.

We leave and go on about our days. I needed to get a little bit of work done later this afternoon so instead of going home I went to mecca...um I mean Starbucks and typed up my newsletter. In walks the guy we met this morning. It's packed and he asks if he can sit at my table. I was thrilled to say the least.

I shut my computer and he came back with his drink. He asked my story and I told him a little bit of my journey. There was a young woman sitting beside us and suddenly we all start talking about faith, me being a pastor, her lack of, and Nicolas' recent journey outside of christianity into other religions. It was a great dialogue that went on for well over an hour.

I had the opporunity to share that what I believe was abolute truth and that faith is Jesus Christ is both hard to explain yet essential to salvation. I wasn't talking to convince them but I could tell that some of my words were new concepts for them. Concepts like the fact that man is inherently evil and that does seperate us from God therefore no matter how good their intentions on improving the world that morality is not the same as salvation.

1 comment:

Mike said...

that's awesome nick!
thanks for being open to such great conversations!

peace!

mike rose