Thursday, January 11, 2007

Everybody wants to go to heaven: To be honest I didn't know what to expect from this book. I knew it was written by David Crowder and Mike Hogan. I knew it was probably about death, heaven, or dying. But what I found was refreshing and honest. At times hard to read not because of the writing style but because of the content. If you've lost someone you know what I mean.

They speak from the heart because of all the loss they have experienced in their lives and most recently and tragically the death of Kyle Lake, their past at University Baptist in Waco, TX. If you don't remember he was the pastor that was electrocuted while in the baptismal.

I had the opportunity meet Kyle at Catalyst a few weeks before he died. I've mentioned it before on this blog but I really enjoyed his honesty in his answer to me and his grace that he extended an a fellow young pastor.

The irony of it all is the David Crowder Band had just released an album about death and how as Christians we have nothing to fear about death. At times they wanted to give up on the project and just put it to bed and let is rest but their pastor, Kyle Lake, encouraged them to proceed. He died about 2 months after the albums release.

Inside the book is a beautiful short story written in a format that I have never seen before. If you own a collison and heard the interview about the Lark then this book will shed some light on this subject. It's a heavy read but one worthwhile.



2 of 51

Up next: While on the theme of the soul I'm going with Soul Cravings by Erwin McManus.

No comments: