Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Do not read to satisfy curiosity or to pass the time, but study such things as move your heart to devotion. -Thomas 'a Kempis

I really love to read and I think the only thing that keeps me from reading more is my lack of discipline. But even still I find that my reading is voracious compared to some and because of that fact I am often asked about what I am reading and what I am learning. Rather than review what I have read I thought I put down the books that are either on my shelf waiting to be read or in my cart at Amazon waiting to be bought. ( I spent lots of time putting in links but either the links don't work or you have to be logged in to Amazon for them to work, I'm not sure which but I'm not fixing it either, good luck).

On the Shelf:
American Jesus by Stephen Prothero: The sheer size of this bohemeth intimidates me but one of these days I'll tackle it.

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston: This is the story of the guy that got is arm stuck between a bolder and a canyon for 6 days before he cut his own arm off and walked to help. I just haven't been in the mood for a biography lately.

If you want to walk on water you've got to get out of the boat by John Ortberg: He spoke at council so I went and bought his book as soon as I got home. I'm not even sure what it's about but it's got a cool looking cover...

The Homiletical Plot by Eugene Lowry: I thought it'd be good to read a book on preaching in the desire to want to become a better preacher.

In the Cart:
Plan B: Further thoughts on faith by Anne Lamott: Travelling Mercies was so engaging that this book deserved to be bought.

Through Painted Deserts by Don Miller: Probably my favorite author right now because of his humor and rawness. This rerelease has yet to be released.

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell: he's an excellent teacher and this book was just released so I'm going to give it a buy and see what Rob has to say. Really I've been in a holding pattern waiting for this book to be released.

Morph: The texture of Leadership for tomorrow's church by Ron Martoia: This was a recommended book by an old professor of my from TFC, Doug White. I really respect Prof. White so I figured it's worth a read.

No comments: