Thursday, July 21, 2005

Invitation: So I've been in a few discussions over the years about altar calls and invitations. I think for the most part the "new skool" of thought says that altar calls are typically manipulative and therefore aren't used all that often. I will admit that as I work with my students I recognize how easy it can be to "manipulate" them to make a certain decision. Sometimes it is hard to let the Holy Spirit work w/out greasing the wheels.

So because of my desire to not be manipulative I do try to be careful when I give an invitation but I do still give them because I feel that merely hearing and never being asked to act is an equal injustice.

So that brings us to last night. Last week I merely read the passage in Galatians posted below, so last night I read the second part. The part about how we are to nail our sinful desires and passions to the cross. I told the students its a day to day thing, an hour to hour thing. There were lots of blank stares throughout the lesson and I was pretty discouraged. Then at the end I merely asked if there were any questions and one of the guys raised his hand and said "Nick, I'm a liar. I live one way on the outside and then I act a certain way here. Every week I come and tell myself I'm not going to do it again but then I go back with my friends and mess up. I'm just a liar, I don't even know how to live the truth."

So after I picked up my teeth from the floor. I stared at him for a few minutes. Then I stared at my paper stand and then I picked up my jaw from the floor.

I said " Since February -2 (pronounced "ought 2") I have never heard someone be so honest with me and I don't know what to say."

I gathered my composure and told him how he needed to put to death his old life style. I told him it would be one of the most painful things he will do in his life but one of the most necessary. I told him how I had to do that and for a long time life was very hard but that is why I am the man of God I am today.

So invitation or not the Holy Spirit worked last night.

All creatures of our God and King, Lift up your voice and with us sing
Hallelujah!

1 comment:

GrandFather said...

While I agree that altar calls can sometimes be manipulative, I also realize that had it not been for altar calls, most of us over 40 would not be serving God today. The altar call to us was an opportunity to make public a decision that we had already made in our heart. "... for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation." (Rom 10:10)