Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Revolution: I just finished reading Revolution by George Barna. I wouldn't say it's one of the more life changing books I've read but it was interesting and sparked some interesting thought in my brain. It's ironic because I genuinely have a heart that is passionate about the Church of Jesus Christ. I recognize that this church is going to look different as time passes particularly with a mere 4% of our generation claiming to be born again. The idea of The Revolution that Barna has observed says that there is actually a moderately large group of people following the teachings of the bible, claiming Jesus Christ as Lord, and serving others with the love of Jesus Christ but not affiliated with any local body of believers.

One of my ministry friends here in Suffolk is a youth pastor at a fairly large Baptist church. Gary is a great guy whom I respect not just as a ministry partner but also sort of as an older ministry brother. He's wise, he thinks before he speaks and God is doing phenomenal work through him in his student ministry. I also have other ministry friends that are Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian or whatever else denomination comes to mind. They value their denomination and are bonded to it. The reason I bring this up is because the idea of revolution and what it means for denominations is not encouraging. But what it means for the kingdom of God is very encouraging.

I'm left standing in the middle. I do not believe it is essential for a person to be a part of an organized local "church" but I do believe being a part of an organic body of believers is essential to spiritual growth. So catch the semantics the organized church is not always an organic body of believers but a social fraternity or a swell program for the kids.

The rub is, and why I brought up my Baptist friend in the first place is that people by nature are not disciplined. They go to work because they’ll get fired if they don’t and people in general stay healthy and lose weight because they don’t want to die at an early age. We drive the speed limit because we don’t want a ticket, etc, etc. So basically what I’m saying if left in our own depravity people will resist being in community. By removing the responsibility or obligation of going to church people will in turn stop being part of a community of believers. It’s that dichotomy of discipline and passionate love. In a perfect world we would all be in love with Jesus and his people and would love going to be part of our community groups but in reality we live in a fallen sinful world where in bursts we are in love and in bursts we despise the bondage of being bound in community. Our bondage is our liberation though and that’s the irony. When we bind ourselves to others we are in turn made free and are free to be who we are. (sounds like song lyrics brewing!)

Well I've sufficiently walked all over this one and all over the place in the process. So read the book it's worth the $10 and the 130 pages it's printed on. Even if you disagree...

No comments: