Monday, June 19, 2006

This is one of those delayed blog entries. I’m sitting in Starbucks, the new one in Suffolk, and they don’t have wifi yet. I’m also assuming that this Starbucks will be a t-mobile hotspot which means it will cost money. It seems that my general hangout is the only Starbucks in the world that has free wifi…don’t tell anyone.

Fatherhood: Yesterday was my 2nd father’s day and two days before that my 5 year anniversary. I find it really incredible and a great privilege that I get to celebrate the two relationships that mean the most to me so close together.

Our anniversary went great. We went down to the beach and ate at Catch 31, where BJ works, and then we checked out the art festival taking place on the board walk and then went down to the water for a few minutes. Nathan liked the beach and wasn’t afraid of the water…he kept trying to run into the water by himself.

Yesterday we went to church and then took my dad out to lunch. Dad gave me a great little book by Tim Russert. He’s the guy that does Meet the Press and this is a 2nd book about fathers. I started reading it yesterday while Nathan and heather were getting some afternoon naps. I got a good way through it and it’s a great little book. Celebrating fathers’ and their positive influence on their kids. All of the stories are heartwarming and make you fell good about fathers. It’s a great gift especially from my father.

It’s interesting because I have been feeling a strong call of God to focus on the father relationship of God. Mainly to bring attention to it and to revel in the beauty of this relationship we have. So pure, so strong, so solid. Earthly fathers, even the best ones, make tragic and life altering mistakes when dealing with their children. John Eldgridge talks about this and is one of his primary focuses. He’s onto something. One thing that I value so much in my relationship with Nathan is the fact that I get to show to Nathan the father heart of God. That’s one of the roles God gives father’s, to show and display his love. One of the greatest hesistations of people in allowing God to have their hearts and lives is that the have a mistrust of father’s.

This whole theme fits in with another book I’m reading called Why men hate going to church. I think the title is funny and that’s why I bought the book. I think the author is onto something and basising his ideas on his opinion alone I have to say I like his opinion. He’s not saying anything new- just something seldom said.

God the Father…what does that mean? What should it mean?

No comments: