Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Score: I'm currently making copies of a book on cd because there is no way I could get them ordered and sent to me in time for them to make a difference. Probably like every other book study in the history of the world the people involved in our wednesday night PDL book study aren't getting read the material in time for wednesday nights or they aren't even trying. But I don't feel back or take it personally and I don't take them on guilt trips or try to coerce them into reading the material. I know better than that.

Today I saw my buddy Brandon at the gym and was telling him I had a hard time getting through the material and I'm tired of reading it so instead I listened to it from the book on cd that someone gave me long ago. He told me the was tired of reading it also. Surveys say that most men don't like to read. The reason men don't like to read is that men generally aren't very good at reading. They...um wait...we like to hunt and fish and work on computers and do other hands on stuff but generally not read. I like reading, I'm not normal but I've known that since the 1st grade. So not all men fit the stereotype but in general men don't like to read...

So I'm going to make copies until I can order some for everyone- crisis averted.

But that got me thinking that perhaps my thinking is messed up. Generally one would think that reading the material before hand like requested shows participation and effort but our discussions were some of the best our little group has ever had. So it was clear people were excited about the material but weren't making time to read it. I was keeping score the wrong way. The better way to have kept score would be to see if people are processing the material and allowing it to penetrate their lives.

Which makes me wonder what other things do we need to reevaluate how we are keeping score?

1 comment:

ChristaG said...

Nick!!! Oh my goodness, we are parents. How disturbing is that? Check out my little girl sometime.
www.kroseg.blogspot.com
Christa Wood Goodwin