Monday, May 09, 2005

Finished: I finished Traveling Mercies. I have heard for years that the book is worth the read and I must say I was NOT disappointed. If you're looking for a pat you on the back Jesus book then this book is not for you. If you're looking for someone who grapples and struggles with life, faith, spirituality and even Jesus then this book is for you. It restored in me the idea of messiness in our lives. The idea that like in Luke 7 the woman who washes Jesus' feet with her hair then Simon the Pharisee starts to question Jesus integrity and holiness. So Jesus asks "if you forgive a $5 debt and a $5000 debt who has more to be thankful for" Duh Simon says the one who had $5000 forgiven and then Simon just shut up. He realized that those in need of a savior, I mean desperately in need (isn't this all of us) recognize the love of their savior than those that lead a "good" life.

Sometimes I think we're so "sin-free" that we really think we can save ourselves. Sure we don't say that or tell people that but I think deeeeeep down inside we really think it and then we sin against the cross because we are trying to be self suficient.

No comments: