Friday, May 13, 2005

Pronounce this!: I lived most of my life in Hampton Roads, Virginia. Hampton Roads isn't a city but rather a group of cities that make up the Tidewater area of Virginia. Down on the coast in Tidewater we have a certain way of saying things. For instance I grew up in Portsmouth, locals pronounce it Portsmith, others- normally know it alls like to call it PortsMOUTH, making them look silly. Well it's not only one city but several, namely Norfolk and Suffolk. It is said if you are from Hampton Roads you can pronouce those names without sounding like a moron or like you're saying a swear word.

I can't tell you how many times in my life people have asked where I grew up and I tell them Portsmouth (Portsmith) and they say you mean PortsMOUTH. Normally I put my hands in my pocket so as not to smack them. I'm from there, I'll tell you how it's pronounced!

MTV: Alert! This morning on MTV...I saw a music video!

No comments: