Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday: I went to the local Catholic church this morning. I just missed the Ash Wednesday morning mass but was able to see the people walking out. I always enjoy going to St. John’s and this morning was no different. I must admit one thing before people start thinking I’m some sort of…well I don’t know what. The reasons I go are two fold and two fold selfish. The first is that it’s easier to be quiet and solemn at such a sombering place. The second reason is that I like to get ideas for experiential worship.

I was just talking to a guy the other day that LOVES to try “new” things in his youth worship service. He was just talking about how he rips off the catholic ideas all the time. As I entered today what appeared to be an exiting from a funeral, I then sat down on a pew about half way back. There was a group of senior citizens that must not’ve got enough during the mass because they were holding their service on the opposite side of me. Nothing to terribly alarming about that.

As I was reading my Bible and looking at the crucifix at the front of the church I couldn’t help but hear the holy seniors prayers. One Lord’s prayer, some scripture reading, another Lord’s prayer and then…much praying to the “virgin” Mary. As they began those prayers, and I don’t mean to offend Catholics, I felt very uncomfortable. I pray to one God. I believe this is a Biblical truth and praying to anything else is idolatry. I tried to ignore it but as their prayers went on there was a check in my spirit and I had to leave. They were praying to a false god, putting their trust in a woman, who gave birth to the son of God, no small feet, but in the end was just a woman, not a god.

I know that experiential worship has led us to the things of the past and anyone who knows me knows I love experiential hands on worship but we must remember our separation from the Catholic church and why as we pilgrim ahead…err…back.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Explain that a bit.

Nick said...

Thanks for the detailed reply, I've never heard or read much on rastafarian beliefs and I think the parallels are so interesting. I wonder why there are so many parallels? I think we both agree on being born again and I wonder if our definitions of that term are the same.

I will admit that I do not believe that all religions are truth, I believe they all hold bits of truth. I have to also tell you that when I set this blog up I expected a "christian" audience and therefore am more willing to show my/our "dirty laundry". I believe the grand scheme of a relationship with Christ is much broader that what the church in North America paints but not so broad as to include all religions. I believe there is one truth and that it is in a relationship with Christ not a religion.

On my quest for truth I have arrived at several core convictions that I cannot compromise on.
1. Ingrained in every human is a desire to have a relationship with God
2. Man by doing wrong broke that relationship with God forever
3. Jesus Christ is God become flesh sent for the redemption of man, to mend the relationship between God and man
4. Belief and continued relationship with Christ results in eternal life

Thanks for dialoguing with me!