Saturday, January 07, 2006

Neighbors: Like most people in this world we have neighbors that live to the right and to the left of us. I have had limited contact with both sets, general neighbor stuff. One of our neighbors has 2 kids, one is in the eighth grade and the other fifth grade. Because they locked their keys in their house one day they had to spend the afternoon at our house playing with Nathan's toys. Seeing as he was 8 months old at the time that still strikes me as funny. The other neighbors son is probably about 40 and seemed to really enjoy talking to me.

So that is the background now for my point. Both neighbors I met were ladies. I met the neighbor to our right and was not given the feeling of being very welcomed. In fact I got the idea that if she never spoke to me again she'd be happy. I shrugged it off and just let it go. Our neighbor to our left came over the other day to introduce herself. She was very pleasant and very talkative and I felt like I knew a little bit about her when she went back home.

So two very different meetings. The funny thing was my attitude. The neighbor that was rude or indifferent at best I wrote off immediately. My thought was well if she doesnt' like me then i don't like her. Basically I didnt' see how she had worth in my life. The other neighbor was nice and I immediately saw that she would make a great neighbor and possibly a great friend. She had value.

I'm being honest here. When most people meet others they immediately evaluate their value in their lives. People we see that might be valuable we strike up conversations with, others we leave alone. I'm trying to recognize that I do this. I think most people do. It's not good, just a fact of life. But it doesn't have to be.

No comments: